Wednesday, January 18, 2012

PvP Impressions of The Old Republic

As much as I would like to say I just hate the PvP in SWToR, I feel like that's giving it too much of a diservice, but I do have a major problem with the PvP in the game that I did not have at the launch of World of Warcraft which is roughly in the same time frame.

For starters if you weren't one of the people who reached level 50 and immediately started to participate in the PvP content within 2-3 weeks of the game's early access, it becomes fighting a uphill battle. Equipment in this game matters so much in SWTOR that as a fresh 50 Jedi Sentinel with nearly full level 49 purple item upgrades, I was not able to scratch Sith Inquisitors or anyone really who had a Sith Inquisitor shield up, on the other hand of things, I also died very quickly to people who are able to do rapid 3k-6k critical hits.

The next problem I have is that it is not easy to get past the starting level to even the first level of PvP items. So far the only ways I've found were

-PvP daily quests (2 in total)
-PvP weekly quests (2 in total again)
-Using Warzone Commendations to Convert them into Mercenary Commendations and using them to buy Champion level bags (Basically needing 800 Commendations for a bag, which turns into either 3 Centurion Commendations or a chance at a Champion level item, the lowest costing Centurion item is about 16 tokens, that means about 4800 commendations)

And that's about it. I get about 50-90 commendations per battle, and usually double that if I win; however on our server (Sith Wyrm) the Republic very rarely wins. I've done enough Warzones to buy about 3 bags now and my progress for the weekly is 6/9 Warzones won.

Despite all of this and all of the complaining I've done to Alice, the PvP experience isn't a absolutely dreadful experience. The only redeeming factor for it though is the way the game rewards you Valor which is basically just a PvP experience stat, not much more than that. I personally like increasing stats even then however the PvP is rather unfun. As for my personal performance in PvP although I can do my biggest hit on a geared player and hardly scratch them, usually I can get in the top 1-3 highest damage done stats for both sides, as well as having the most medals rewarded, of course provided the medal system is also very.. not optimal to begin with, in that it has more possible medals for Tanks rather than DPS and Healers, healers having the worst of it.

That's my summary for how PvP has been thus far, I will be talking more about it when I get better gear which will hopefully be soon enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment